Sunday 6 September 2015

To Do

I've heard a theory that we only accomplish a certain percentage of the tasks we set out to do. If we start off with a list of 100 items, we may get 80 accomplished. But if we start with a list of 50, we'll only accomplish 40.

Something something aim high something something.

The exact percentages don't matter for the purpose of this monologue. And whether it's a Theory or a theory is also irrelevant.

Because I definitely see myself in this. As the school year draws closer, I've been working away in my classroom, creating bulletin boards and lesson plans, writing student names on envelopes and desks, sending e-mails, and generally bracing for another fabulous year.

And in doing so, I've gathered up a few long-neglected tasks along the way. It's not even 9:00 on this damp Sunday morning, and I've already removed the old, ratty bumper sticker on my car and replaced it (this task has been on my "to do" list for about a year), replaced the light bulb in my bedside table lamp (2 weeks), put away the screwdriver on the kitchen table (3 days), and put away the dishes (ok, this is always on my list). The washer and dryer are both running, I'm showered and dressed, and I've cleaned out the various moving parts of the Roomba.

I even took out the recycling, which is BY FAR my least favorite chore (why?).

And you know how long each of these tasks took?

Minutes.

Sometimes seconds.

I've put them off for weeks-- sometimes months-- and even the longest task took no more than 10-15 minutes.

There's a lesson in here somewhere.

I'll figure it out later, once the task has had time to ferment on my list.

After all, I need to go make vegetarian rice crispy treats (5 months) and clean the baseboards (infinity).

No comments:

Post a Comment