Friday 29 January 2010

Day 5

Day 5: Your Favourite Quote

If you know me at all, you know that I love the Things People Say. Therefore, there is no way on earth that I have one, and only one, favourite quotation. I have favourites from the kids (which I posted here), I have favourite inspirational quotations, favourite funny quotations, favourite literary quotations, favourite things that professors, family, and friends have said. I shall give an example of each. (Except the kid quotations, because that already has its own post.)


Inspirational:

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." -Howard Thurman

(Got that one from Yaya's blog-- thanks, Yaya!)


Funny:

Most things said by Groucho Marx, Dave Barry, and Eddie Izzard.

Literary:

"Alice laughed. 'There's no use trying,' she said. 'One can't believe impossible things.'

'I dare say you haven't had much practice,' said the queen. 'When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.'
~ Lewis Carroll

"There are daggers in men's smiles." ~Donalbain in Shakespeare's Macbeth


Professor:

"Buck up, buck up! It's like a lesbian gym mistress!"
~my Shakespeare prof in London


Family:

Dad asks a question, and Eco answers correctly.
“That’s exactly right, Rick!”
~Dad

(And no, my brother's name is not Rick. Not even close. To this day, it is one of our greatest family mysteries... why did Dad call Eco Rick?)


Friends:

"I'm always sober...when I'm not drunk." ~Jill

“I know about as much Danish as Sarah Palin has foreign policy experience… meaning I can see Denmark from my house.”
~Nancy (she was studying abroad at the time)

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE quotes!

    Confucius and Mother Theresa are always good ones. So are Helen Keller ones.

    ReplyDelete