Thursday 1 March 2012

Helpful Hints

When I'm excited about something, I do what any normal person would do: I research the hell out of it.

Wait. That's not what any normal person would do, you say?

Fine. I do what any true nerd would do, and research the topic to the extreme. As a result, I now know more (in theory) about chicken husbandry than I could ever have even imagined a few weeks ago. I would share my newly acquired knowledge with you, but I sense that perhaps we do not quite share the same level of enthusiasm.

The thing about this type of (obsessive, compulsive, endless) research is that you are likely to find pretty useless (the occasionally amusing) bits of information in amongst all of the photographs, fun writing, and interesting information.

My favourite bit of ridiculousness came from the book Chickens: Tending a small-scale flock for pleasure and profit.
Now, I have some positive things to say about this book FOR SURE. For instance, it introduced me to the concept of the chicken diaper. This is not to be overlooked or under-appreciated.

However.

At this time, I would like to share some of the helpful hints Sue Weaver gives us on Incubation Troubleshooting.

Problem: No embryonic development

Possible cause: Not enough roosters
What to do: Add more roosters

Possible cause: Aged roosters
What to do: Add younger roosters

Possible cause: Eggs stored too long or incorrectly
What to do: Correct improper storage methods



The advice table continues along this vein, and I find it increasingly hilarious.

I'm not sure how I'm going to use this in other areas of my life, but I am absolutely determined to incorporate it.

"Is your problem 'Not enough roosters'? Then add more damn roosters!"

There's a metaphor in there somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment