Wednesday 29 June 2011

On Bein' Amurrican

I just found this post, saved as a draft, tucked away in my archives. It's a few months old, but I guess I've made no progress in thinking about this-- everything in here is still totally, 100% true!

Recently my sense of humour (snarky, sarcastic, and self-deprecating at best) has taken a turn for the distinctly un-patriotic. I ascribe various negative behaviours (entitlement and overindulgence, to name a couple) to my nationality, and finish such thoughts with "it's because I'm Amurrican" (which is how I pronounce this in my jokes).

And the thing is, it's really not funny.

Or, ok, it KIND OF is, because the whole thing about humour is taking something that is true, and twisting it slightly. So it works from that angle. But it seems to be revealing something about my feelings about my nationality that is really not pretty.

I don't really know precisely where I'm going with this. I don't really have a point. It's just something I have been thinking about recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment