Thursday 30 June 2011

Writer's Workshop

This post is my first time participating in Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop. How timely her question was!

What do I find most difficult about blogging?
Doing it.
Actually taking my idea, sitting down, and turning it into real words on the screen rather than just a swirl of ideas in my head. This is how things look in my brain:


See? It’s just not that comprehensible. There are often times when I think “THIS IS HILARIOUS!” and then, by the time I get to a computer, somehow I’ve lost whatever it was that was so funny in the first place. And even when it is still funny for me, there is no guarantee that it’s equally funny to anyone else. (Or equally meaningful, or even equally understandable.)

I also, as you may have noticed if you are still reading this blog, suffer from an extreme lack of motivation. I like blogging, but I am not so good at the art of applying the seat of my pants to the seat of my chair, so to speak. (Isn’t Hemingway the one who said that the art of writing is “the art of applying the seat of one’s pants to the seat of the chair”? I think it was…)

The seat-pants connection is challenging for me, especially when it comes to blogging. I’m very good about reading blogs, but not so great about writing posts.
Between Seat-Pants Syndrome and Brain-Swirl Syndrome… quite honestly, friends, it’s shocking I ever manage to blog at all.

I'm working on it, though!

3 comments:

  1. LOL I can relate more than you know! My problem is distraction... I get on the computer with one thing in mind... hours later, I finally realize my original goal and by that time, I've forgotten what I wanted to say. Your swirl was a perfect picture! LOL

    (Stopping over from Mama Kat's)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a witty, spontaneous thinker, speaker, and definitely not blogger, so my posts seem pretty methodical. I am captured by blogs that keep me on the edge of my seat with their humor and wit, but I also like the deep-thinking, reflective blogs. But when it comes to writing what I (really) want to write in my head, that's not so easy. Sometimes I think about blog posts to write when I am trying to fall asleep and think 'oh, that would be great to say it that way,' bu then when I actually try to put those words down on paper they don't come out right. I feel like I am a work-in-progress kind of blogger :) So reading your post makes me feel better! Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came over from MommaKats and I'm so glad I visited. I love your Brain-Swirl image and some glitter and thats totally me. My readers never know whats going to be on SavvyPracticality when they wake up. It could be a post about nearly anything and if something shiny catches my eye that's what is going up! Add some glitter to your image and it could be my theme image. Just keep plugging away you'll hit a stride your comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete