Sunday 12 May 2013

Mama

"Hello?"
"Howdy!"

In the days before we had caller ID, or exclusively used cell phones, I would occasionally answer the phone to find my grandfather on the end of the line. We'd launch into some friendly small talk, until, apropos of nothing, as far as I can tell, Grandpa would burst into uproarious laughter.

It took me years to figure out what he was laughing at.

I don't remember how it came to light, but I finally learned what was so very funny; whenever I answered the phone, my greeting (and initial conversation) sounded exactly like my mother. He would assume he was talking to her, until I said something that clearly identified me, at which point he would crack up in surprise.

I can't say I'm turning into my mother, but I can say that I am supremely fortunate to be influenced, taught, and raised by her. Her tone of voice is not the only thing I have unintentionally adopted, never mind the multitude of skills and qualities that I am patiently (and not so patiently) trying to cultivate within myself.

When people meet my mom, after knowing me, there is an inevitable moment of, "Ohhhhh...." And I am always so flattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment